Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Milk or Meat?

Recovery Efforts Continue After China Earthquake
In Corporate America, a lot of emphasis is put on setting and accomplishing goals. There are department goals and overall goals for the entire company. It’s so important that seminars are offered to teach the employees how to go about it.

When a company sets a goal, it challenges everyone to meet it. It becomes a competition and therefore they set their mind on winning. The overall result is that the Company grows bigger and better because everyone is challenged to do a better job.

So, why do Christians have such a hard time setting spiritual goals for themselves? And, why are we willing to accept the same old status quo in our walk with the Lord, and never grow up spiritually? Why are we content to remain on milk when we should be on meat?

If I’m going to grow spiritually, my goal must be to feed on God’s Word daily. I can’t grow without spiritual food. And then as I learn from His Word, I must put it into practice in my life. Another important goal is to grow in my faith in God.

In my quiet time with the Lord, I stumbled on to a scripture in Mark 11:24 that started me thinking about all of this. Jesus is talking to His disciples and He says, “Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray, and ask, believe that you have received them, and they shall be granted to you.”

If I can paraphrase this, I think it’s saying; When you ask God for something, you should believe in your heart that it’s a done deal, then wait on Him to bring it about. I don’t think the Lord intended this to be extraordinary faith – I think it’s the kind of faith He wants all of us to have all the time.

So, my first goal is to read God’s Word daily and the second is to make my life measure up to what God's Word says. The third goal is to stretch my faith and not only believe that God can meet my needs, but that He will!

And how about you? Will it be Milk or Meat?

No comments: