Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Leaving a Legacy, Part 1

DANBY, VT - OCTOBER 25:  Richard Ackert works on cutting a slab of marble at the stone fabrication facility in Vermont Quarries' Corporation Danby Quarry, which is located inside Dorset Mountain October 25, 2005 in Danby, Vermont. Some of the marble from the mine is used in the creation of tombstones for soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan who will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Danby Quarry is the biggest underground marble quarry in the world, over a mile long with a footprint of twenty five acres and reaching six levels deep.  (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
There are two things for certain in life; we all will die one day, and we can’t take anything with us when we do. For those of us who don’t have much material wealth to leave to our loved ones, what kind of legacy can we leave to those who come along behind us?

I’ve been reading in 2 Timothy 1:5 about the legacy of faith that was left to Timothy. The Apostle Paul is writing the letter and he says; “I have been reminded of your sincere faith (Timothy), which first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded, now lives in you.”

Sincere faith is a wonderful legacy to pass on. I did some research on the word “sincere” and found that it’s possibly taken from two words in Latin; sine (without), and cera (wax). Without wax.

I was curious why the word ‘sincere’ had such a meaning. One of the stories going around is that stone workers during the Republic of Rome, would cover imperfections in stone by applying wax in crevices, much like homemakers or unscrupulous antique dealers might rub wax into wood to hide a scratch (About.com). For dealers to say that their product was “Sine Cera” meant you were getting an honest deal and the stone was of the finest quality, pure, with nothing hidden.

That’s the kind of legacy I want to leave behind, a faith with no wax added. I invite you to join me in praying this prayer; “Lord, purify my faith, make it sincere with nothing hidden, that I might leave a legacy of sincere faith to those who come behind me.”

No comments: